1.17.2009

obama fever..

i wasn't able to wake up early nor had breakfast with the local news. poor me again. still undisciplined.
----


"IM ASKING YOU TO BELIEVE.
Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington...
IM ASKING YOU TO BELIEVE IN YOURS."
-barack obama


there are a lot of hollywood movies that i watched before wherein the actor that acts as president of the United States is black. i never thought that it would happen in real life.

when i first heard of obama's candidacy i got interested because this is the first in America's history that a black american would rule. and now that history started to enfold before my eyes im so amazed with this man. he must have got a lot of personality and guts to influence many americans, black and white alike. watching this progress in US makes me think that nothing is really impossible. i remember when we discussed the american culture in EPP, our trainer shared how blacks are discriminated before. they were treated as slaves and they were deprived of many rights. the obama phenomenon is such an inspiration not just to americans but also to everyone of us.
here's an excerpt in his "A More Perfect Union" speech..

"I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton's Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas. I've gone to some of the best schools in America and lived in one of the world's poorest nations. I am married to a black American who carries within her the blood of slaves and slaveowners - an inheritance we pass on to our two precious daughters. I have brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins, of every race and every hue, scattered across three continents, and for as long as I live, I will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible.
It's a story that hasn't made me the most conventional candidate. But it is a story that has seared into my genetic makeup the idea that this nation is more than the sum of its parts - that out of many, we are truly one."(1)
okay. heres one of my favorite quote that he said.."Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." (2)


still there are lot of obama things that is so inspiring and touching.
i hope we filipinos would also be moved to believe in ourselves, start the change within us and be a more perfect union. let's not wait for our "obama". let us all be obamas.

---
(1) Remarks of Senator Barack Obama, "A More Perfect Union", Constitution Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/18/obama-race-speech-read-th_n_92077.html.
(2) http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/barack_obama.html.

0 comments: